The manuscript is still with Cuzzie. She told me last weekend that she had been having a bit of trouble with her eyes. Nothing to worry about, but it has delayed matters a bit. Hopefully, |I should get it back by the weekend.
In the meantime, I have been preparing for my annual penance by downloading the Emarker to mark GCSE English Language papers, as I have done every summer since 2007. That can only be done in Windows, so it was back to the other half of the hard drive to work in Windows 7.
The main reason why I installed Linux on the old machine was to breathe a bit of life into it. I have since made the discovery that its woeful Chrome performance was really down to an excess of cookies. Once these were cleared out, it began to perform more like it should.
That prompted me to experiment with a new browser that I have heard of recently. It is called 'Brave'. Its claim to fame is that it blocks all adverts and doesn't track your activities. I downloaded it, installed it, and am immediately impressed. It is hugely fast on even this old slug of a machine. Needless to say, it is now my default browser and the need to switch between Linux and Windows is greatly reduced. In the near future, I will have the monbey to get my proper PC repaired, and then I will be installing Brave in Windows 10. Recommended.
The last post about how my PC had recovered turned out to be premature. Shortly after I uploaded it, it started misbehaving again, and has continued to do so ever since. That forced me back onto Linux to complete the editing process, which I have now done. This book has seen off three computers since I began it two years ago. It has been written, using three different word processors (Nisus Writer Pro - Mac only, Libre Office Writer - Linux version, and WPS Writer - Windows and Linux). It has also been written under three operating systems: Mac-OS (called OS-X El Capitan at the time), Windows 10 and Linux Mint.
Looked at with hindsight, it is a miracle that it was ever finished at all. Yet it is finished - subject to Cuzzie's approval. I delivered it to her on Wednesday, and she has promised to have her appraisal ready for next weekend. Phew! The final version - the one that goes on sale, that is - was done in WPS Writer, my word processor of choice these days. None of that should be apparent to the reader. I take care over these matters.
Despite its distended gestation period, and all the technical problems that dogged it, I am happy with the result, and I hope you will be too. All being well, it should be on sale within weeks, after Cuzzie's appraisal and final checks.
Then I must turn my attention to my next book. I have another four stacked up in my head, one of them a commission from another person, one an idea from a friend, and two extensions of existing series. I won't be stopping any time soon. Exam marking will rear its ugly head before much longer, which will interfere heavily with writing for about a month. Before any of that, though, I need to get my proper PC fixed.
The PC is working again! My friend, Mark (who knows a thing or two about computers) suspected a faulty lead inside the machine. We got it going last night, but it relapsed overnight and further investigation was required today. Finally, I tracked it down to one of the fans and disconnected it. Problem solved. It is working reliably again. No need to worry about cooling. The machine was designed for gaming, so it is chock full of fans. The most graphically demanding use I ever put it to is watching YouTube videos, so it is more than sufficiently equipped to do that.
Now I can get back on with editing. Hopefully, I will be contacting Cuzzie for a proofread within a few days.
I ask you. Would you Adam and Eve it? My new PC has just gone and died on me. Well, perhaps not as draconian as that, but it will need to be fixed, and I can't do that right now because there are other things that I need to attend to.
Do not concern yourselves, however. The edit of 'The Secret Angels' continues unabated. The work is being carried on, in Linux, on the back-up PC that I bought to do exam marking a few years ago. That one, at least, still works - even if it does run Windows 7 at the pace of an arthritic slug (it's faster in Linux, though.) Fortunately, two of my previous actions worked in my favour here. Firstly, after the Mac died and the other PC followed it, I installed the Linux version of WPS Office on the machine so that I could continue writing. I have always made back-up copies of my work, for obvious reasons. The last thing you want is for your machine to go belly-up and take your almost completed book with it. In addition to the master copy on the computer's hard drive, I also made one back-up on on an external hard drive and another in Cloud storage. Because of that, I was able to download the latest version of 'Angels' to the Linux machine and continue working. Phew!
So, the actual editing is going very well. It shouldn't be long before it goes to Cuzzie for the proofread. Then come final checks and publication. If my main PC is up and running again by then, it will do the job, using Kindle Create. If not, I will make an ePub and upload that (Kindle Create doesn't work in Linux). The two methods produce very similar results, so I doubt whether a reader would notice the difference.
Writer of Fantasy, thrillers, comedy - and anything else that takes my fancy.